By Suvajit Guha
Are the furniture and decorative pieces adorning the rooms of your home or office made of plywood, medium density fibreboard (MDF) or particle board? Is the look of your furniture bothering you as you think it is dull and imperfect? Then you can always give a plush or classy look to your furniture using wood veneers. Today it is one of the most popular and effective decorative laminates available. Veneers have multiple advantages and uses. But the most common form of veneer is commercial face veneer or decorative veneer, which can give any surface a perfect finish and look.
In this article, we have created a list of advantages of using wood veneers. It is definitely an option worth exploring. If the readers of this article are convinced, they can then instruct their building contractors or furniture makers to use wood veneers to give a luxurious look and a rich feel.
(1) Plush Look: Natural wood or plywood surfaces are not very smooth. But if one is looking to give his furniture or room a glossy and regal look, veneer could be the answer. The number of designs and colours available in veneer is large. One can experiment a lot by mixing and matching veneer with the natural surface. It brings furniture to life.
(2) Quality: Veneer adds to the quality of the finished product. The quality of finish or look as well as the durability increases. The finest quality logs are sent to the companies that produce veneer. That is also one reason why the quality is so good.
(3) Strength: When veneer is applied to a surface, it increases the strength of the product. As veneer is formed by gluing thin layers of wood with adhesives, it is a lot more resistant to splitting and warping. This in turn increases the life of the furniture or other architectural structures.
(4) Better utilization of wood: Veneers are thin sheets of wood formed by peeling, slicing or sawing a lumber or a log. The thickness of a standard veneer could be as small as 0.6 mm whereas thickness of solid wood cut from a tree log is usually not less than 3 cm. So this reduces wastage of wood from the log i.e. the use of wood in case of veneer is far more economical.
(5) Variety: Each veneer sheet is unique. So there is little chance of repetition as no tree in the world is unique. The range of choice is truly mind boggling.
(6) Non-toxic: Wood veneers are generally non-toxic. There are some adhesives and substrates that do not use formaldehyde base, which may have harmful effects on the health. If such a glue is used to stick the thin layers of wooden sheets to form veneers, it will be absolutely medically and environmentally safe.
(7) Availability: Today due to the effects of deforestation, exotic woods are becoming increasingly rare. Making furniture out of the finest quality wood is a fancy that a lot of buyers cultivate but due to lack of availability as well as cost, they back out.But veneers due to their economical use of log are more readily available and can give almost a similar effect.
(8) Practicality: Using wood veneers is much more easier than natural wood or plywood in some projects. Making curved surfaces with veneers is easy. Wood veneers can be used to create some wonderful unique designs also. Wood veneers are an inseparable part of the furniture crafting industry today. The advantages of using wood veneers is many and the user can reap heavy economic dividends by using veneer as a decorative over plywood or particle board surface, etc.
The range of choice in the category of premium veneers offered by Sarda Plywood is endless. Their veneers are hand selected from forests around the world. They currently offer over 250 species in a number of different finishes and designs. Their veneers also conform to BWP grade as per IS:1328 (1996). Sarda Plywood Industries Limited (SPIL) offers A++ grade veneers with a minimum thickness of 0.55 mm, which is equated with luxury furniture made using veneers of this quality are considered a class apart. More information is available about SPIL on the website http://www.sardaplywood.in or to know more about Nature's Signature premium veneers and plywood, follow this link http://www.sardaplywood.in/nature_signature.aspx. According to most customers, industry experts and business partners of SPIL, their association with the company has been really fruitful and worthwhile. The company credo is that it has no customers. Only business partners. All its products and services are designed in a way, that the customers turn into business partners and become a part of the extended family of the company. And those who are part of this family would vouch for the experience. Are you ready to try it out yourself?